Friday, May 9, 2014

The Delphinki Near-Kerbin Radio Observatory

Delphinki on the launchpad.
 So the most recent update to the game has added asteroids, which, sadly, can impact. Since I happen to be of the belief that planetary extinction effects are bad for the human condition, I've decided to begin work on my completely informally-educated response to the threat - Project Dragon.

The project comprises a series of launches to form a swarm of asteroid-killing satellites (the Dragon Formation) that are directed remotely from a specialized mission group on the ground. In order to target asteroids, however, I would logically need something capable of seeing them.
Coasting to orbit.

Enter the Delphinki NKRO. I genuinely have no idea if a space-based radio telescope is feasible (I worry that the same signals that allow it to communicate with the ground would inhibit detection) or precisely how it would function (asteroids don't natively broadcast radio, so presumably this functions more like Radar). Either way, though, this is the system I have chosen to use, and the actual working parts of the system will come in later launches.

Next time, I'll begin launching the Dragons.
Eyes front, Little Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment